Thursday, December 18, 2014

Raven's Story - Continuation of Our 2012 Ordeal and Useful Information for All Pet Parents

Raven's Story - In Loving Memory


She was trying to smell the phone as a I took the picture


This will probably be a short post. I just thought that the additional information might help someone at some point. If some good can come out of this, then perhaps all of this would not be for not.

I forgot a detail about the Prescription Novel Protein food she was on that caused weight gain.  It also caused her hair color to change. My black Raven was turning reddish-brown.  When I finally removed the food, she started to darken again, but never fully went back to black in that large spot.  It shows in some of the pictures, but below I will post the one where I really noticed it happening.


I also wanted to add a link, also from catinfo.org that has some useful information about medications that applies to not only cats, but dogs too.  A lot of the medications are given to both.  I hope you take the time to read the info. I learned a lot from the article and while I am still having issues retaining information due to emotions, I will definitely refer back to the site. I feel horrible for "dry pilling" Raven because she was so easy to give a pill to.  It left me feeling leery of a lot, but I need to read it again - perhaps a few times.


There is a section at the bottom of the page that talks about Metacam (Meloxicam), the same stuff that caused Raven's severe acute kidney failure. The manufacturer put a Black Box Warning on the drug. WHY ARE ALL VETS NOT AWARE OF THIS WARNING? The below quote is from the link I just posted above.

"I would also put in your cat's chart "NO METACAM without discussing the pros and cons first".  Metacam is a non-steroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) that has the potential to cause kidney damage in cats.  The manufacturer recently added a ‘black box’ warning stating that it is not to be used in cats past a single injection.  That said, it may be considered for use in arthritic cats that have had their quality of life enhanced by it.  "

While I am going to have some trust issues finding and with a vet if I ever get another cat (or someone said to me today, "when, not if"), I am definitely going to be armed with more information. I want to make it clear that I think vets have it tough for various reasons and that I feel they are necessary for pet care. I am just more leery on vaccines for indoor cats and on medications.  If/when I do get another cat and have any health issues, I will definitely be more involved in what goes in that little furry body.

I have wondered lately if I should report what happened to Raven from Meloxicam.  I'm just not sure how to do that in Canada with pets.  


*For the beginning of the story, see November 2014*

*Disclaimer - I do not proof-read anything I write, so if there are typos, please excuse them - Plus, I cry through 90% of writing these, which impacts vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment