Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Raven's Story - Raven's Bond With V - Part 3

Raven's Story - In Loving Memory


It's almost like she's saying, "Don't take my picture!"

This is the third installment of telling the story of the beautiful bond between Raven and her V.  It's hard to believe it's been 9 weeks tomorrow! Time continues to feel like it's standing still. I suppose that boils down to the pain still feeling so fresh that it feels like it just happened a few days ago. I still miss her so much!

I did get another kitten on January 13th and she seemed to have chose me. My friend and I went a good distance to get her and out of herself and two brothers, I was drawn to her and she was drawn to me. I was not 100% ready, but I never would have been, so now was the time for a few reasons. I am definitely still grieving Raven and still cry daily for her.  I knew getting the new little one wouldn't take away the pain, but I hope it will help me focus some of that painful energy elsewhere.  I have a lot of love to give her and I know that. The kitten is ten weeks tomorrow and I have named her Luna.  Actually, somehow she ended up with a middle name from a picture of her on Facebook, so it's Luna Rose.  


Luna Rose

This blog will continue and it will continue to be about Raven's life and my memories of her.  Back to the original subject of this post.

I've already mentioned that V looked after Raven every time I went away. The same applied for whenever V went away. I was then responsible for all three of the furkids - V's dogs, J & C, and Raven. It went way beyond that though. We had a pretty good system going.  If one of us was going to be arriving back later than normal, we could either arrange ahead of time or text the other last minute, to arrange to have the appropriate furkid(s) needs taken care of.  It was definitely comforting to know we didn't have to worry.  It worked out better for Raven anyway since she preferred how V made her dinner.  The furkids all had their separate routines that they knew with both of us and in a lot of cases, those routines were quite a bit different than what they all knew with their appropriate moms.  

I may have touched on this before, but I know I didn't expand on it. Raven was a "hall runner". She got out into the hall as often as she could and she knew all her ways out of her.  If I was doing the litter box, getting the kitchen or bathroom garbage, sorting laundry, putting shoes on in the hall or even if she saw me grabbing my iPod and bag for work, she would go to the door and start "melting down" to get out.  Quite often when she felt like going out in the hall she would go sit at the door and just meow and meow and meow and meow. Raven was relentless. Those "meltdowns" could literally go on for over an hour straight.  Distracting her never worked.  Well, it worked if she got a treat, but then as soon as she was done with the treats, she would go right back to melting down. 

Below is a video of a mild meltdown. Trust me, they got a lot worse than that.




There are several pictures of her hall time.









Raven would bolt out and just roll around.  Sometimes it was hard to get her back in.  Apparently she liked to play "chase me down the hall".  That was never fun when you're trying to leave in the morning and not miss the bus.  Locking her out in the hall didn't matter to her. She would just go about doing her thing until she felt like coming back in.  V used to just prop the door open for her so that she would come back when she was ready or when something startled her.  
The amount of times Raven wanted out increased and got worse after V started looking after her.  Raven knew that for the most part, both V and Auntie Billy would let her out if she sat at the door and freaked out.  Although sometimes when Raven was melting down at the door V would just sit on the couch and say, That's nice, Raven.".  Raven was in her glory once when she had both V and Auntie Billy here at the same time.  She was so over-stimulated with all the love and unlimited hall time that she didn't know what to do with herself.

I've mentioned before that Raven preferred how V made her dinner, so we used to joke that she was going to V's door to ask her to make dinner. We were waiting for her to knock.  Raven was definitely aware that V lived there.  After V moved away mid 2014, Raven stopped going to her door.

Below are some pictures of Raven either heading to or coming from V's door.  The last picture is one V captured from Raven's view of the hall.  V's door was on the left before the tiled floor.









There was an 8 week period in 2013 where V went away, so I was on furkid duty for all three.  It was very interesting to say the least.  All three quickly learned the different set of keys that were used that had a set for both doors.  When I used them on my door, I would hear J start crying and then get up and do the mad dash to go get her toy to bring me. When Raven heard them to lock V's door, she would start screaming at the door because she knew it meant I was coming back and she could bolt out into the hall.  Raven was definitely in her glory with hall time during that 2 month period.

Raven always knew what she could get away with and with whom.  Watching her routines with V both when I was home and away was pretty cool. I think I have mentioned she always knew when V was coming over, but she also knew when she was leaving as well.  Raven would get up and walk V to the door.  Most of that was probably because she knew she would get some hall time, but she would only do it when V was leaving. If V was heading in the same direction to go to the bathroom or kitchen, Raven didn't get up and follow her. Raven also used to have a thing with V's shoes - she'd always lay on them for a period of time before her snuggles and massages with V. Probably to prevent her from leaving. Although, V told me that whenever I was away, Raven would definitely try and stop her from leaving. If I remember correctly she would try and block V in the kitchen and try and block the front door. Of course V would just step over her, but props to Raven for trying.

While I would be away, V would always send the most amazing pictures of Raven. They are all my favorites and will be posted now. Some will be repeats because I have used a few as intro pics on posts.

The two pictures of Raven "admiring" the dolphin pictures on the wall are priceless. I thought maybe V set the shots up with the laser light, but she didn't - it was all natural and a once in a lifetime opportunity photo opportunity.




The tongue sticking out was also a rare photo opportunity.


As was the yawn...



Here are the rest of some of the amazing shots V captured of our beautiful Raven.






So, in closing on the bond between Raven and her V, yes, Raven did indeed have V wrapped around her paw! Their bond will always be remembered and treasured by me.  I'm glad they both had it and I am so honored that I had such an amazing person and friend that I trusted to take such amazing care of my baby.  Thank you, V!


*For the beginning of the story, see November 2014*

*Disclaimer - I do not proof-read anything I write, so if there are typos, please excuse them

No comments:

Post a Comment